Vila Franca Islet Off-coast Reserve Tour [Oct-Apr]
- Duration: 3 Hours (approx.)
- Location: São Miguel Island, Azores Islands
See upclose a beautiful volcanic marvel - the Islet of Vila Franca do Campo off-coast protected natural reserve. Learn more about its geoforming, and living fauna and flora!
What you can expect:
You will meet us at the Marina of Vila Franca do Campo for check-in at the specified time.
The tour starts with a short briefing introducing to the volcanic islet’s geology, plant and animal species that can be found, the nature reserve’s rules, and safety. Everyone will follow the Guide and Skipper to their designated boat, for 10 minutes travelling by sea to the Islet.
You will disembark at the islet’s harbor, for a hour-and-half tour to explore the volcanic marvel and its notorious features. The islet crater is rocky with endemic Azorean Heather, Firetree and other flora species making this a beautiful living habitat for wildlife, and often birds can be observed, such as Buzzards, Turnstones, Sanderlings, Little Egrets, Whimbrels, Canaries, Wagtails, and even Sally lightfoot crab colonies!
It is life rich all year, especially in Autumn and Winter. Your guide will keep you informed on what you are observing and is available throughout your tour to provide answers to any specific questions - feel free to ask!
At 16:15 it is time to be back to the Marina for check-out.
Know before you go:
- Eat light, and bring your personal water supply, sunscreen and chapstick for the Sun. Light food is permitted, and a Camera is essential, especially for photography lovers - protect any personal equipment.
- NOT FOR anyone pregnant, with weak back, in wheelchair or delicate health conditions, or under the age of 4.
- Bathing is not permitted at this time of the year.
- Knowledgeable Wildlife Guide
- Experienced Skipper
- Zodiac RIB Boat (12-28 pax)
- Impermeable Full Suit and Life Vest
- Admission to Nature Reserve
Doe not include:
- Hotel Pickup and Drop-off
- Personal Water supply